Thread: Firefly and Serenity

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Same here. I rather utterly ignore those things with movie and TV characters unless of course I think it actually pertains to the character (e.g. facial expressions and "body language" which actors can sometimes be very diverse with between different performances precisely because they are trying to portray the essence of the character.) It's just sort of like if you were to read about the character in a book (if it were a book rather than a movie), what would be the sort of gist of the character... and I don't mean a book based off the movie, but that there never was a movie and all there was is a book.

I guess as a different example, is the character of Hamlet who I think it's generally agreed is EIE. Tons of actors have played Hamlet on stage and they could have their different takes on how to portray him (for instance, is Hamlet insane? did he really love Ophelia? there are a lot of ways to interpret the character), but regardless of their performances the essence of the character is unchanged (Hamlet is still "EIE"). I mean I'm sure it would be possible for someone to portray Hamlet where it seems like he's a different type than the character in the play to some people, but still the actor is walled in by what Hamlet says and does and the plot of the play and no matter what changes they make to their body language they can't change these things. For instance they can't really do much with some of Hamlet's more flamboyant and dramatic behaviors (such as creating that play to get his Uncle to show something in his face that would "prove" to Hamlet that he murdered his father).

Although granted, sometimes with movies and shows there's a more organic process where the actor and character fuse into one (the actor has say over what the character says and does)... so that could obviously cause the actor's persona to possibly seep more into the character (but not always).

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except you can't ignore them without turning the practice of typing into an aberration from the real thing. When you cross that line, I'll go ahead and say you're not really "typing" them but doing something altogether different. Like I said: untypable when it comes down to it.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that those things don't matter very much to me... I see VI as like the least important element in typing. (Although I think VI does have something to say.) And also by what you're saying it would be impossible to type most characters in books because there isn't sufficient "VI" info.

Edit: although I would add that it depends on what is meant by "VI" exactly because some elements have a lot to say, such as is a person generally sitting quietly in one place or are they always up and about jumping up and down and touching and talking with people, but anyway... in a movie or TV show, that would be part of the character itself and a performance that neglected that wouldn't be portraying the character very well. And the director and producers and possibly writers would not approve and probably want an actor that portrays the character more to their satisfaction.

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Except you can't ignore them without turning the practice of typing into an aberration from the real thing.
    oookay.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

-Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typing fictional characters is already something that is very hard to take seriously. When you also start handpicking which traits do and don't qualify as indications of the type, what you're doing just has nothing to do with socionics.

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typing fictional characters is already something that is very hard to take seriously.
    Does this look like the face of someone who takes shit seriously?

What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does this look like the face of someone who takes shit seriously?
    I you were just bullshitting all along, you should just have said so.

It's settled. Malcolm Reynolds is an ESTj.

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I you were just bullshitting all along, you should just have said so.
    I was actually dead serious -- Mal strikes me as an SEE. I just don't take movie typology very seriously (nor, really, do I take VI all that seriously either. Dynamic VI seems useful as a rough measuring instrument, but Static VI is retarded).

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aleksei-Labcoat related:

“Don't think, Feeeel. it is like a finger pointing out to the moon, don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory.”

Concentrating on the finger is what many bad actors do. It's what many of us do in our real RL lives from time to time. Do we call that A Type Mask?

And this concentrating on a finger. You can actually feel it. It's in your chests&throat or thereabouts I'd say, even in your head, and your stomach is tensed.

You can also feel it when you're concentrated on a moon. It's in your stomach and pelvis I'd say. And your stomach is relaxed.

. I need to make sense of this somehow.

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like SEE for Mal. Fi seems like a good fit for his creative.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lemme think and sober up befoer I go putting types on these awesome people.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mal says some hilariously Te-related make someone feel bad on accident slip ups throughout the show. Te ego makes sense to me over SEE, as SEE's tend to be one of the smoother types of the socion.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Lemme think and sober up befoer I go putting types on these awesome people.
    Two years and mune still isn't sober.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great show! It's been a few years, but I'll give it a go from what I can remember:

Mal - SEE
    Kaylee - ESE > SEI
    Jayne - SLE
    Inara - I can't tell where her training ends and her personality begins. She's poised and poetic, but isn't that just supposed to be alluring?
    Book - LSE > SLI
    Simon - I'm not sure I trust my recollections of this character
    River - she's too crazy to tell for sure, but I suppose I have a Fe creative impression

I'm torn about Zoe and Wash. Wash is clearly ethical and strikes me as a Ne/Si introvert, and what I remember of Zoe is that she's probably Se ego. Yet those two seemed like the perfect couple?

Now I want to watch it again.

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Great show! It's been a few years, but I'll give it a go from what I can remember:

Mal - SEE
    Kaylee - ESE > SEI
    Jayne - SLE
    Inara - I can't tell where her training ends and her personality begins. She's poised and poetic, but isn't that just supposed to be alluring?
    Book - LSE > SLI
    Simon - I'm not sure I trust my recollections of this character
    River - she's too crazy to tell for sure, but I suppose I have a Fe creative impression

I'm torn about Zoe and Wash. Wash is clearly ethical and strikes me as a Ne/Si introvert, and what I remember of Zoe is that she's probably Se ego. Yet those two seemed like the perfect couple?

Now I want to watch it again.
    hmmm. my take:

Mal - SLE/ILE hard to say
    Kaylee - SEI
    Jayne - SLI. I fuckin wish he was SLE, lmao. He's my hero.
    Inara - LSI
    Book - SLI
    Simon - SLI
    River - IEI
    Zoe - LIE
    Wash - SEE/SLE
    Last edited by Azure Flame; 12-28-2013 at 08:25 AM.
    Perfect<------------------------------------------------------------------------------>Loops and Tings

Ambivert / Aggressor / Trailblazer / Nomad / Alpha Caretaker / Free Spirit / Kevlar Speed Demon / Ninja

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My brother got a crocheted Jayne winter hat for Christmas, lol. I should make one and make a Doctor Who scarf, too.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azure Flame View Post
    Inara - LSI
    Yes!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12