Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How ISTps are seen by Fe-valuing individuals

Creepy-Cyclops

I only lie if I think it's the right thing to do, which is strange because I don't think I could sit down and write when I think it's right.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I only lie if I think it's the right thing to do, which is strange because I don't think I could sit down and write when I think it's right.
    Not sure if lying is ever the right thing to do, (ok maybe against the Nazis to save a bunch of cute Austrian singer children with bright futures, a la Sound of Music). But actually for most situations we all would be in I am sure it isn't ever the "right" thing to do. It always makes more problems for later.

It takes up lots of energy trying to remember what you said when and if people figure out you were lying it takes energy to figure out how you can justify it or fix it.

I do not see how SI and TE firsts would ever think it was a good idea to lie. Doesn't it just cause probems!?! Si stress and Te justification issues. .. .

PS It also hurts people's feelings.
    EII 4w5

so/sx (?)

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by Christy B View Post
    Not sure if lying is ever the right thing to do, (ok maybe against the Nazis to save a bunch of cute Austrian singer children with bright futures, a la Sound of Music). But actually for most situations we all would be in I am sure it isn't ever the "right" thing to do. It always makes more problems for later.

It takes up lots of energy trying to remember what you said when and if people figure out you were lying it takes energy to figure out how you can justify it or fix it.

I do not see how SI and TE firsts would ever think it was a good idea to lie. Doesn't it just cause probems!?! Si stress and Te justification issues. .. .

PS It also hurts people's feelings.
    Well, it depends on what it is, maybe i'm thinking trivial stuff like i'd maybe phone the boss to phone in sick and lie about the reason (like i'd maybe say i'm not well but reality is I need the day off because my partner is ill and i'd like to look after for the day) ok maybe this isn't best example but I see it were my priorities are..whats more important, my friends, my partner or some company who would get rid of me and move the job to india if it suits them. What i'm saying is my priorities would make me lie over what or who i see as important.

It's kind of like one principle over-riding the other in that respect. Plus it's none of my managers business

Creepy-Cyclops

Also..say my partner or my friend asked me to lie to someone (or about someone) to no end but just to lie and possibly be nasty, although my friend or my partner is more important to me than the other person, the fact that i'm being asked to lie purely for the sake of it, possibly hurting someone else, means that in that situation the lying is wrong, and I wouldn't then.

I guess this is what I mean by situational.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Well, it depends on what it is, maybe i'm thinking trivial stuff like i'd maybe phone the boss to phone in sick and lie about the reason (like i'd maybe say i'm not well but reality is I need the day off because my partner is ill and i'd like to look after for the day) ok maybe this isn't best example but I see it were my priorities are..whats more important, my friends, my partner or some company who would get rid of me and move the job to india if it suits them. What i'm saying is my priorities would make me lie over what or who i see as important.

It's kind of like one principle over-riding the other in that respect. Plus it's none of my managers business
    The trouble might be though that some people can see through it (the lie I mean) and no one necessarily thinks a person who is lying is doing it for a really BAD reason, but, it makes it much harder to trust them later, when you might really need to trust them. Usually the SLIs I have known are actually really good people with strong values and a solid core. But when they lie it makes it hard to trust them, and so people might just stay away in order to avoid confusion or potential problems. You might be put into a peripheral category of friend in=stead of solid best friend place, which SLI are more than capable of fulfilling, and are probably some of the best friend around really. It is sad for me to see this happen, when they are pushed to the side a little, because they have lied about small things.

I hope I am not being mean. I am only talking from experience from interactions with SLIs I have loved and seen hurt. . .
    EII 4w5

so/sx (?)

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by Christy B View Post
    The trouble might be though that some people can see through it (the lie I mean) and no one necessarily thinks a person who is lying is doing it for a really BAD reason, but, it makes it much harder to trust them later, when you might really need to trust them. Usually the SLIs I have known are actually really good people with strong values and a solid core. But when they lie it makes it hard to trust them, and so people might just stay away in order to avoid confusion or potential problems. You might be put into a peripheral category of friend in=stead of solid best friend place, which SLI are more than capable of fulfilling, and are probably some of the best friend around really. It is sad for me to see this happen, when they are pushed to the side a little, because they have lied about small things.

I hope I am not being mean. I am only talking from experience from interactions with SLIs I have loved and seen hurt. . .
    No that's really good advice. See everything I do is based around my moral or ethical code. I always do what I think is right. Which is interesting what you say because my close friends and those that know me well - know my reasons for doing things, see me as totally sound and like a 'rock' and I guess, i've always been more concerned about knowing i was "right" or doing "right" than what others, subjective opinions may be (not that I don't care of course)

Anyway, i'm starting to ramble. What you say makes a lot of sense and i'll have a think about it.

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IME Te-wise the sentiment is 'if it's not relevant, you don't need to know'.

It doesn't matter whether or not people can 'see through it' since there is nothing to see through, you are asking for information which isn't relevant.

^^That is the sentiment.

What unefille is talking about is image, how what you are doing it seen to others, constantly controling what you say and do to have an effect on others or and a bit of .
    I've been forced to do as unefille has said in the past and it has lead to some seriously nasty anxiety.
    Last edited by leckysupport; 04-27-2008 at 12:47 PM. Reason: add
    ἀταραξία

***el X Mercenary
    TIM
    Te-ISTp
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by electric View Post
    IME Te-wise the sentiment is 'if it's not relevant, you don't need to know'.

It doesn't matter whether or not people can 'see through it' since there is nothing to see through, you are asking for information which isn't relevant.

^^That is the sentiment.
    Yes, I agree with (or relate to) this more than the lying because it's "harmless" sentiment. Somtimes certain details about how I spend my time or accomplished something just really isn't anyone's business.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gay sex
    Last edited by istpunk; 07-17-2008 at 08:41 AM.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is this fascination with school shooters?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meatburger View Post
    Sli's are great like that though because when they do show they like you its more awesome. They are like a present that you slowly get to unwrap. Then it re-wraps itself again and you get to unwrap it again
    Aw, that's extremely flattering!

As a long-suffering temp worker, I've had jobs in literally dozens of different workplaces. And it has taught me that I do not naturally open up to people in any timely fashion. Now, I can have a conversation with a complete stranger ... mention some esoteric subject and I will probably have a factoid or two to casually drop, or relate some personal story and I will probably have a complementary (though condensed during my first several interactions with an individual) anecdote. But "I" don't seem to come across to others until I've had multiple, in-depth interactions; I'm a social chameleon who sticks to the edges at first. And likewise, I never trust my first impressions (yes, plural) - maybe this has been intensified by the number of times that I've heard some version of "Gee, now that I've finally got to know you, you're *not* cold/elitist/stuck-up/unfriendly/inflexible like I first thought!"

If I were the SLI in the original post, I would probably just assume that since the other person came to such a negative view of me off such a dearth of interaction that either I could turn that view around in successive interactions, or else successive interactions would prove I had no need of such a person as my friend anyway. Or I wouldn't even be aware of the other person's negative attitude in the first place, doing my own thang.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You really hear stuff like "Gee, now that I've finally got to know you, you're *not* cold/elitist/stuck-up/unfriendly/inflexible like I first thought!"

..How insulting
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    You really hear stuff like "Gee, now that I've finally got to know you, you're *not* cold/elitist/stuck-up/unfriendly/inflexible like I first thought!"

..How insulting
    Yeah, actually, I have.
    It turns out that when I work, I get into my work, and try to be efficient. I take to new computer applications very quickly, and also learn systems of how to do things in a new workplace in a very short timeframe. Then I start tweaking the pattern and figuring out how to do things even better, and this seems to have the effect of
    1. Making me seem like I'm completely anti-social, because I focus on getting to know the job before getting to know my co-irkers (typo intended for fun)
    2. Putting me at odds with superiors who think I shouldn't change the way things are done, or others who are expected to do the same things in the same way and who either don't want to change and/or feel insecure because they didn't come up with the ideas themselves
    3. Making me so efficient that I usually get as much done as the next three or four people (this can also have the unfortunate side effect of making me seem lazy if I'm at a temp placement where I'm discouraged or disallowed from picking up other duties and must then sit on my hands, surf the web, etc. - even in these cases, I will *never* just wander around socializing at work!)
    I know a lot of that (especially the last) sounds arrogant. All I can say is, you gotta wait & get to know me before you judge its accuracy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

..How insulting
    No one has ever said that to you? I get it on a daily basis. I think it's different for females who act like this. Guys can be brushed aside for this because it's looked at as typical guy behavior... but for a female to be unnaproachable, quiet, cold-looking, etc, it draws a lot of negative attention. To top it off, if you're also an attractive female with above said qualites, good luck trying to get anyone to talk to you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    No one has ever said that to you? I get it on a daily basis. I think it's different for females who act like this. Guys can be brushed aside for this because it's looked at as typical guy behavior... but for a female to be unnaproachable, quiet, cold-looking, etc, it draws a lot of negative attention. To top it off, if you're also an attractive female with above said qualites, good luck trying to get anyone to talk to you.
    Yeah I agree, girls can get a lot more shit for it than guys. I have gotten it, but more along the lines of "wow you're not as quiet/serious as I thought".. or something.

I wonder what a cold looking woman looks like.

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my female SLI friend is regarded as a total bitch in the workplace. Of course, she also works for one of the biggest money-pit bureaucracies on the planet, and she gets a lot of flak when she defends her point or blatantly goes against regulation.

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by tiny_dancer View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure my female SLI friend is regarded as a total bitch in the workplace. Of course, she also works for one of the biggest money-pit bureaucracies on the planet, and she gets a lot of flak when she defends her point or blatantly goes against regulation.
    Although we can be very successful in it, I don't believe it's the best environment for us. We are too honest..to genuine..at least in comparison

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

..How insulting
    I'm not SLI, but I've talked to people who've told me that they thought I was a bitch before they met me.
    I look "mean" to them. I guess
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anamericancer View Post
    I'm not SLI, but I've talked to people who've told me that they thought I was a bitch before they met me.
    I look "mean" to them. I guess
    I relate. A lot. It's really funny because I know the general consensus of my demeanor on this forum is friendly, responsive, open. And yet, in real life, almost everyone (really) says that on first impression, I give off snobby, "repelling", negative, intimidating vibes. I really don't know what it is - the only things I've gotten out of asking people why they thought so was that when I walk, I tend to look straight, tunnel vision style, and don't acknowledge anyone. This apparently gives off the feeling that I think I'm "elite" or something? Thanks, you've given me a good idea for a new thread ... *ambles off*

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux View Post
    I relate. A lot. It's really funny because I know the general consensus of my demeanor on this forum is friendly, responsive, open. And yet, in real life, almost everyone (really) says that on first impression, I give off snobby, "repelling", negative, intimidating vibes. I really don't know what it is - the only things I've gotten out of asking people why they thought so was that when I walk, I tend to look straight, tunnel vision style, and don't acknowledge anyone. This apparently gives off the feeling that I think I'm "elite" or something? Thanks, you've given me a good idea for a new thread ... *ambles off*
    Same here. I used to be worse when I was younger. I wasn't trying to be UNfriendly but I was simply living in my head and it came across as cold. I'm much better now that I'm older and I try more consciously to look at people in the eyes and smile and say hello.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    Same here. I used to be worse when I was younger. I wasn't trying to be UNfriendly but I was simply living in my head and it came across as cold. I'm much better now that I'm older and I try more consciously to look at people in the eyes and smile and say hello.
    Ahh, that's exactly it. I do "live in my head" too much, especially when just walking around. I actually don't see the point of "noticing" my surroundings too much (until I walk into random objects, like poles). It actually takes too much effort for me, must be weak or something. It's terrible, but I can't exactly do too much about it, so let people think what they may. I believe that if I just act naturally without compromising myself, people complementary to me will still be attracted/interested.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlettlux
    I really don't know what it is - the only things I've gotten out of asking people why they thought so was that when I walk, I tend to look straight, tunnel vision style, and don't acknowledge anyone. This apparently gives off the feeling that I think I'm "elite" or something?
    Thank you. You just gave me the final peice of the puzzle of a girl ive been trying to type. Shes friends with an INFp. I recon ive said hi to her 4 times when shes walking and shes ignored me 4 times. I suspected that she simply had no idea though. *off with the faeries*

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    I walk into poles, and I'm dominant. I don't think it's type related.
    You're Special
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    I walk into poles, and I'm dominant. I don't think it's type related.
    hahaha
    EII 4w5

so/sx (?)

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not saying all people of her type are that ignorant, everyone is different but yeah...she was a massive bitch.

I put two and two together and i realized the reason she probobly hated me was because I was "ignoring" her. But the thing is, i wasn't doing it on purpose and didn't even realize I was doing it. I just don't talk to people unless they talk to me first and she never made the first move so whatever...she basically became non-existant in my world. The more someone demands attention from me, the more I'll ignore them.
    This sounds just like me. The more I read your comments, the more similarities I find with myself.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meatburger View Post
    Sli's are great like that though because when they do show they like you its more awesome. They are like a present that you slowly get to unwrap. Then it re-wraps itself again and you get to unwrap it again
    That sounds emotionally draining.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LSE and SLI scare the shit out of me with how good they are at witholding things and being secretive, that I find it hard to trust them completely. I'm not saying that they are like that necessarily, but they sure have the potential for it.[/QUOTE]

This has also been my experience. It's hard to know where they truly stand and how they feel, which makes it interesting at first, but can become emotionally draining for someone like me.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's like a disconnection from emotional things, when there is supposed to be emotionality.

I totally agree.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shit they're on to us!

RUN

"I think the lying/deception is the combination of Te-creative and Fe-PoLR. I suspect a lot of them tell certain lies simply because it will save the hassle of actually explaining their circumstances/motivations, or because they want a certain outcome and a lie is the easiest way to secure it. "

LOL

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

..How insulting
    I've heard this a lot.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He he, yup.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux View Post
    Ahh, that's exactly it. I do "live in my head" too much, especially when just walking around. I actually don't see the point of "noticing" my surroundings too much (until I walk into random objects, like poles). It actually takes too much effort for me, must be weak or something. It's terrible, but I can't exactly do too much about it, so let people think what they may. I believe that if I just act naturally without compromising myself, people complementary to me will still be attracted/interested.
    LOL. You've described me in this situation.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by qbsirena06 View Post
    LOL. You've described me in this situation.
    You run into poles? You must be very special.

- Voltaire

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You run into poles? You must be very special.
    I am!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am!
    Careful, I might drain you.

- Voltaire

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have 7+ thoughts in a row. Put them in one post.

Unless you're aiming for post count? If so.. that's just stupid.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Careful, I might drain you.
    You might.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might.
    Darling, you haven't changed.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    Darling, you haven't changed.
    Neither have you, my love.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neither have you, my love.
    Well, finally we agree on something.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    Well, finally we agree on something.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast